Best Pet Lizards for Newbies
Best pet lizards to start with as a beginner. Lіzаrdѕ саn mаkе еxсіtіng реtѕ, but you have so many species to choose. It саn bе challenging for you to сhооѕе whісh оnе wіll be rіght. Sоmе of thе most wеll-knоwn lizards, ѕuсh as iguanas, are not the best lizards fоr most реt оwnеrѕ. However, сhооѕіng the right lizard will help еnѕurе that уоu аnd уоur реt аrе happy for mаnу уеаrѕ to come.
Let’s talk about first care
I’m not going to shoot sunshine up your butt. Just because these are the best lizards for beginners, this does not mean you will have a low-maintenance pet. If you want to be lazy, get a Goldfish.
You will need to change the water daily. Feed daily plus clean up the leftovers. Some of their live food requires a special gut loading diet. Also, You will need to keep the enclosure clean. You will need to clean out waster three to four times a week. Completely change the substrate once a month. Depending on your pet you might need a particular bulb that emits UVB light. You will need to replace this bulb every six months. So this should give you a general idea of what to expect.
A list of the Best Pet Lizards
- Experience level is the beginner. In fact, The lifespan can be ten years. The Bearded Dragon gets up to 24 inches long. The Rankin’s Dragon will grow up to 10 inches, and Their Ideal habitat is a desert environment.
Include Firebelly, Mandarine, Eastern, Hong Kong, Crested and Paddle Tail.
- The experience level is the beginner. They also can live 15 plus years. Can grow up to seven inches long. They require an Aquatic or SemiAquatic Habitat.
- The experience level is the beginner. They, in fact, can live between 15 and 20 years. They can grow up to 10 inches and Require a desert environment.
Green Anole- Anolis carolinensis
Bahaman (Brown) Anole- Anolis sagrei
- The experience level is the beginner. In fact, They can live up to seven years. They can grow up to eight inches and Require a Tropical/Arboreal environment.
- The experience level is the beginner. In fact, They can live up to five years. They can grow up to 12 inches and Require a Tropical/Arboreal environment.
Eyelash Crested Gecko
- The experience level is the beginner. In fact, They can live 10 to 15 years. They also can grow up to 10 inches long, and They also Require a Tropical/Arboreal environment.
Best pet lizards Environment and Habitats needs
There are four basic types of climates reptiles live. Also, remember to set up your habitat and tweak it before you bring your pet lizard home.
- Desert environment, The temperature is going to range between 65° and 85°F. With the average Basking temp 90° and 110°F. Also, the humidity will need to be 10% to 30%.
- Temperate, The temperature is going to range between 65° and 85°F. With the average Basking temp 90° and 100°F. Also, the humidity will need to be 30% to 50%.
- Tropical, The temperature is going to range between 70° and 85°F. With the average Basking temp 85° and 95°F. Also, the humidity will need to be 50% to 80%.
- Semi-Aquatic, The temperature is going to range between 60° and 95°F. With the average Basking temp 80° and 95°F. Also, the humidity will need to be 50% to 80%.
Essential Tools and Supplements you will need.
- Hygrometer measures humidity in your habitat.
- Two thermometers, one will measure the cool side, and the other will measure the warm side. Reptiles require a temperature gradient to regulate their body temperatures.
- Terrarium, Some Lizard a long terrarium is a need and others that like to climb needs a tall Terrarium.
- Heaters, They can be a special night light, heat-emitting rock, heat mat, space heater. This one depends on where you live and the environment in your in your home. This reason is why you need to set up and tweak before bringing your new pet home. One thing you need to also keep in mind some lights might provide enough heat, also they might give too much heat. Don’t mean to kick a dead horse, but this is the reason for the Pre-setup. You might need to raise a basking light higher or lower to maintain the ideal balance. Also, it just good practice to keep a backup heater.
- Lighting, diurnal(they are active mostly during the day) pet lizards need a UVA/UVB fluorescent bulb to give them the UVB light they need to absorb calcium properly.
- The substrate, the most popular substrate is coconut fiber, reptile carpet, and bark.
- Water and Feeding bowl. The feeding bowl primary purpose is to keep your lizards from accidentally eating the substrate.
- Rocks, branches, logs, caves, etc., you will need to give them hiding places. Plus, they also need a place to cool down.
Best Pet Lizards Supplement needs.
- Reptile Calcium supplement, Their food should be dusted twice a week with the calcium supplement.
- Reptile Multivitamin, you need to dust their food once a week with the multivitamin.
Things to watch for while owing a pet lizard.
- If they stop eating and drinking or losing weight.
- Swollen joints.
- If their nose eyes and mouth start discharging.
- Runny feces or dropping for more than two days.
- If their skin is discolored.
- If you notice them having a hard time shedding their skin.
- Spend too much time hiding.
If you notice any of these things, speak to knowledgeable local pet store associate or a vet.